|By Don Nelson||
|July 14, 2012 09:00 AM EDT||
By Wouter Belmans, Senior Manager, and Uwe Lambrette, Director, Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group
As cloud computing matures and hype becomes reality, uptake among small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and large enterprises is increasing. And although the cloud is still in its infancy, the Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG) believes it is an appropriate time to ask: “How is the cloud value chain taking shape, and where are the battlefields I need to be concerned about?”
Cisco IBSG has found that major disruptions are taking place on six battlefields across the value chain:
1. SaaS Will Further Disrupt the Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Landscape
- Barriers to new entrants continue to decrease due to IaaS, PaaS, and cloud brokers.
- ISV incumbents are slowed down by cannibalization.
- The SaaS paradigm is already disruptive in approximately 25 percent of the software market.
- Mobile application access is accelerating SaaS adoption in additional software segments.
2. PaaS: Development Platforms Will Be at the Core of the Cloud
- The advantages of automation are increasing, while the drawbacks of lock-in are being addressed.
- PaaS is winning the hearts of web developers, with enterprise development close behind.
- In just five years, PaaS could be the cloud delivery model that generates the most revenues for cloud service providers.
3. IaaS: Web-Grade and Enterprise-Grade Infrastructure Services Continue To Battle Each Other
- The battle of web- versus enterprise-grade services rages on across hosted and internal IaaS.
- Maturing web-grade cloud enablers will accelerate the entry of more than 30,000 hosting companies.
- Despite the head start of web-grade services, Cisco IBSG expects strong growth for enterprise-grade IaaS.
- The battle of data center (DC) architectures will continue with massively scalable DCs (web) versus vertically integrated DCs (enterprise) co-existing for the foreseeable future.
4. Facility and Infrastructure Strategies Are Often-Forgotten Fundamentals
- Two facility strategies are on the rise, and often compete with each other:
1) On-net cloud delivers the value of WAN / IT integration.
2) Mega-exchanges deliver the value of an ecosystem of players that host services together.
- Cloud computing enhances IT infrastructure buying power and sophistication. This means ICT infrastructure original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) must rapidly innovate to avoid commoditization.
5. Commercial Activity Channels Are Being Disrupted by Cloud Brokers
- Everybody wants to be a cloud broker, but only a few companies will attract the required ecosystem to succeed.
- Players that can grow from the core will be more successful in the cloud market.
6. Professional Services Require a Shift to Activities that Add More Business Value
- In the short term, cloud migration services are the main opportunity.
- Longer term, professional services companies must shift their focus to activities that add more business value.
- As the focus shifts to business value, deep industry expertise will become increasingly important.
Network service providers (NSPs) must be aware of these value-chain dynamics when determining their go-to-market strategies, which include:
- Commodity infrastructure services with PaaS support
- Enterprise-grade infrastructure services with developer enablement
- Telco-centric SaaS, including communications, collaboration, and security
- Vertical business process services, with a platform ready for business process as a service
- Network as a service (enriched network to better support the cloud)
- Cloud aggregation and brokerage linked to telco-centric managed services
Across the various go-to-market strategies, NSPs need to make a clear choice about how to address professional service requirements—either by building internally, partnering, or acquiring a company with the needed skill sets. Commercial success will often be greater and occur faster (with less risk) where new cloud business models can be layered on top of existing services. Companies that grow from the core can reuse existing capabilities, including customer relationships and sales channels. For telecommunications companies, it often makes sense to grow a cloud portfolio from a base of hosted communications and collaboration products.
With 10 simultaneous tracks, keynotes, general sessions and targeted breakout classes, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo are two of the most important technology events of the year. Since its launch over eight years ago, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo have presented a rock star faculty as well as showcased hundreds of sponsors and exhibitors! In this blog post, I provide 7 tips on how, as part of our world-class faculty, you can deliver one of the most popular sessions at our events. But before reading the...
Feb. 24, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 8,393
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Feb. 24, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,876
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Steve Wilkes, CTO and founder of Striim, will delve into four enterprise-scale, business-critical case studies where streaming analytics serves as the key to enabling real-time data integration and right-time insights in hybrid cloud, IoT, and fog computing environments. As part of this discussion, he will also present a demo based on its partnership with Fujitsu, highlighting their technologies in a healthcare IoT use-case. The demo showcases the tracking of patie...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 696
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Feb. 24, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,851
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Feb. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,502
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Feb. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,522
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Feb. 24, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,235
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Feb. 24, 2017 11:00 AM EST Reads: 6,239
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business. Though, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected with a majority of IoT projects having failed. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, Chief IoTologist at Wipro, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology portfolios and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will delve in...
Feb. 24, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,196
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 4,962
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Feb. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 1,910
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 1,237
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 1,874
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Feb. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 1,504
SYS-CON Events announced today that Conference Guru has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. A valuable conference experience generates new contacts, sales leads, potential strategic partners and potential investors; helps gather competitive intelligence and even provides inspiration for new products and services. Conference Guru works with conference organizers to pass great dea...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 2,101
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 24, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 2,013
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 24, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 5,624
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 24, 2017 04:00 AM EST Reads: 3,941
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Feb. 24, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,023
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 24, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 13,370