|By Bob Gourley||
|November 7, 2012 06:58 PM EST||
- AT&T’s LTE investments will go big by using small cells - AT&T will be spending $14B to update their wireless and wired networks this year. Part of that investment will have to go into increasing their LTE footprint. In the nextgen network, they are seriously lagging behind the leader, Verizon. AT&T will use small cells using the “HetNet Concept.” The small cells will allow them to target dense populations to get bang for buck. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Report: North American Internet Data Usage Up 120% In The Last Year, Netflix Still Responsible For 33% Of Peak Traffic - According to Sandvine, a broadband internet provider, fixed network data is up 120% over last year in NA. The average household is using 52GB of data a month, a huge leap. Netflix is occupying 33% of peak traffic, compared to the 1.75% and 1.38% used by Amazon and Hulu respectively. Traffic is disproportionately used by the upper end of the usage spectrum, while conversely, the bottom 50% use only 5.2 total percent of all data. TechCrunch and Sandvine see this as providing fire to the inexorable move to usage-based pricing. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Instagram CEO: The speed of the product dictates how often it’s used - The CEO of Instagram, Kevin Systrom, believes that Instagram is so popular because the app is so fast to use. He thinks that while wireless broadband is growing faster (and the software is as well) equally as important is the speed of the back-end processing (the poor image quality that Instagram uploads cannot negatively impact speed either). He sees that every second/half-second of waiting time shaved equates to increased usage of the application. This could absolutely impact web usage as well. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Sprint buys Chicago, St. Louis markets from US Cellular in spectrum grab - Sprint who is severely lagging behind all other networks in speed and coverage is purchasing increased spectrum in the midwest. While they are certainly a bargain carrier, Sprint has to catch up with at least T-Mobile to remain viable in the mobile market. Sprint’s early gamble on WiMAX did not pay off as LTE is the clear 4G choice in the US. Via Ars Technica, more here.
- Jetlore Helps Businesses Turn Short Social Updates Into Usable Data - Jetlore is launching a platform hoping to speed social data companies in their time to market. Jetlore performs text analytics and matching it to usable data and topics. Jetlore does not worry about collecting data itself, but rather analyzing the data the customer can bring to bear. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Nerds Unite! Steam for Linux goes live as a limited beta - As Windows 8 is pushing gaming developers away from Windows (and users are ditching Microsoft for other OS options), Linux is fast becoming a low-cost choice for users, and nerds. The beta is available initially only for Ubuntu 12.04+ users, but that should increase as time goes on. Via BetaNews, more here.
- Megaupload Case Has Far-Reaching Implications for Cloud-Data Ownership Rights - as the Megaupload case continues, it is entirely likely that it could set the precedent for all cloud-data and ownership in the future. As owners of data are currently blocked from retrieving it, the question is raised, “whose data is it in the cloud?” As well as do the protections change if the data is owned by a corporation or government entity instead of a private citizen. The answers reached by this case could be pivotal in determining cloud-adoption for corporation and government agencies. Via Wired.com, more here.
- Airbnb Partners With NYC.gov To Provide Free Housing For Hurricane Sandy Victims - Airbnb is providing great opportunities to those dispossessed by Hurricane Sandy. They have waived fees for those affected and are asking local users to drop rates in accordance. This week, they have partnered with NYC.gov to provide more than 80 places for free. Airbnb has over 20,000 listings in the area, and hopefully more will join. Via TechCrunch, more here.
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,712
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 637
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 512
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,119
24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to connect your brand strategy with the right consumer. 24Notion ranked #12 on Corporate Social Responsibility - Book of List.
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 514
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 5,452
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 755
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Oct. 1, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 504
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 1, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 718
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Oct. 1, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,044
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 30, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 769
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Sep. 30, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,540
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Sep. 30, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,265
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Sep. 30, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,124
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 30, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,064
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 574
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 488
The Jevons Paradox suggests that when technological advances increase efficiency of a resource, it results in an overall increase in consumption. Writing on the increased use of coal as a result of technological improvements, 19th-century economist William Stanley Jevons found that these improvements led to the development of new ways to utilize coal. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Thiele, Chief Strategy Officer for Apcera, will compare the Jevons Paradox to modern-day enterprise IT, e...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,461
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,917
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,555