|By Debu Panda||
|December 11, 2012 09:03 AM EST||
In the last blog, I discussed the challenges with an APM 1.0 solution.
As an application owner or application support personnel, you want to
- Exceed service levels and avoid costly, reputation-damaging application failures through improved visibility into the end-user experience
- Ensure reliable, high-performing applications by detecting problems faster and prioritizing issues based on service levels and impacted users
- Improve time to market with new applications, features, and technologies, such as virtualization, acceleration, and cloud-based services
The APM 2.0 products enable you manage application performance leading with real user activity monitoring. Following are some of the top functionalities they provide that help you achieve your business objectives.
Visibility to real users and end-user driven diagnostics
- APM 2.0 solutions provide visibility to end-to-end application performance as experience by real end users and help application support to focus on critical issues affecting end-users.
The dashboard shown in Figure 1, as an example, provides visibility of application performance as experienced by users in real-time.
- As an application owner, you probably care about which users are impacted, what pages they are navigating and what kind of errors they are getting. You want your APM product to improve MTTR by identifying what is causing the latency issues or failure e.g. network, load balancer, ADN like Akamai, SSL or the application tier itself. Figure 2 shows a specific user session and what pages the user navigated and identified that the application tier is the cause.
- The “details” link in Figure 2 allows the application support personnel to drill down further which application tier is the culprit for the slow or failed transaction in context to the specific user. This allows the application support personnel to track end-user request to the line of the code.
Ease of use and superior time-to-value
You want to use a product that is simple to use for your application support / operation team.
- A modern APM solution does not require manual definition of instrumentation policies.
- It should not require manual changes such as Java script injection for visibility to the end user.
- APM 2.0 tools provide ability to drill down from end-user to deep-dive for diagnostics and drill up from deep-dive data to identify the impacted user and the context for the transaction without having to do a manual correlation, jumping between consoles.
- The agent install is typically a 5-10 mts process in the modern APM deep-dive tools.
- The APM 2.0 deep-dive solution provides automatic detection of application servers, business transactions, frameworks etc.
Figure 3 shows a specific user transaction request and latencies by tiers. It also shows the SQL and latencies information.
Suitable for production deployment
- The real user monitoring tool should be non-invasive in nature and it should put additional overhead on application response time.
- You should be able to deploy an always-on, deep-dive monitoring and diagnostic solution for your production enterprise and cloud-based applications.
- It should work in an agile environment without having to configure new instrumentation policies with application releases.
- It should scale for a large production deployment to 1000s of application servers that you want to manage in your production environment.
Operations Ready product and enables DevOps collaboration
The APM 1.0 products were originally built for developers and hence they were not very intuitive for operations use. The APM 2.0 products are operations friendly. Also you would expect some of those to enable DevOps collaboration for intelligent escalation to development.
- Most application support personnel do not understand what frameworks or application technologies used by an application. The majority deep-dive tools in the market move very fast from a transaction view to line of code thus being not providing much value to operations team.
For example, Figure 4 shows the transaction break-down by specific technologies used by the transaction. This also provides baselines for different tiers and the system resource usage along with tiers to make intelligent decision. Figure 3 shows an application flow map for a specific transaction and time spent in each SQL or a remote web service call without having to drill down to the line of code.
- There are many instances operations team need to escalate problems to developers. The tool should allow application support personnel to escalate to Tier 3/development for diagnostics by sending a direct link to the diagnostic instance. However in many organizations, developers do not have access to production environment and as shown in Figure 5, solution from BMC allows exporting the diagnostics data call tree with latency, parameters, etc in a HTML format.
Adaptive to virtualization and Cloud environment
The new APM 2.0 products are purpose-built and architected for cloud and virtualized environments.
- The APM 2.0 product components and agents are designed to communicate in a firewall-friendly protocol and can be encrypted / secured.
- They support virtualized and dynamic environment without causing a lot of false alerts.
- They support modern cloud frameworks and Big Data platforms such as Hadoop.
The APM 2.0 solution provides the functionalities that you need to manage your applications that will help exceed business expectations and increase customer loyalty. These tools provide capability to improve time to market. These provide you understanding how application performance affects user behavior — and how that behavior impacts the bottom line. You can leverage an APM 2.0 solutionlike BMC Application Performance Management to improve your application performance and thus meeting your business objectives.
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,876
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,241
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,811
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 24, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,365
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,490
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,220
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,133
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 24, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,178
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,254
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,500
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Mar. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,367
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 753
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 23, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,288
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 23, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,314
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 23, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,366
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 23, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,497
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 23, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,802
SYS-CON Events announced today that Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,736
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,639
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,501