|By Business Wire||
|December 13, 2012 09:30 AM EST||
Dell today announced new solutions, partnerships and services that enable customers to take advantage of major transformative forces in the data center, focusing specifically on the smooth migration to and management of converged, virtualized and cloud infrastructures. As of early 2012, 50 percent of all installed workloads were running VMs, so many of the easily virtualized workloads are already virtualized, according to Gartner1. As this number grows rapidly, Dell is accelerating its commitment to open innovation and scalable architectures to enable customers to reap the benefits.
“In an effort to drive IT simplicity, efficiency and predictability, enterprises are rapidly embracing converged, virtualized and cloud environments,” said Marius Haas, president of Enterprise Solutions Group, Dell. “Dell is helping businesses rethink their approach to the data center, to help them realize the full benefits of these trends. By combining Dell’s scalable design focus and powerful data center offerings with Dell’s enterprise software assets and services deployment philosophy, Dell is uniquely positioned to help customers build an open and flexible data center of the future.”
As part of Dell’s customer-inspired, end-to-end solutions vision, Dell is quickly building upon its recent announcement of Active Infrastructure, Dell’s family of converged infrastructure solutions. With the announcement of the first set of workload solution reference architectures certified, qualified and optimized for the Active System 800, Dell is giving IT organizations blueprints to deploy VDI and unified communications and collaboration applications essential to any organization. These workload solutions enable IT organizations to help businesses maximize workforce productivity, deliver faster and efficient results, and enable organizations to scale. The new workloads include:
- DVS Enterprise Active System 800 with Citrix XenDesktop Reference architecture
- DVS Enterprise Active System 800 with VMware View Reference architecture
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 Reference architecture
- Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Reference architecture
- Microsoft Lync 2010 Reference architecture
In addition, Dell expanded upon its vision for Active Infrastructure by sharing how it plans to continue to fill the gaps in the industry with intuitive, flexible and comprehensive converged infrastructure solutions for customers. By building upon scalable organic and acquired IP from Gale Technologies, Dell is creating broader business impact beyond the infrastructure to the applications and workloads that truly power businesses. Today, Dell is sharing three key elements of its Active Infrastructure vision, including:
- The ability to provision workloads in just a matter of hours after an Active System 800 arrives fully assembled and crated at the customer site2. Typically, deploying new IT services can take months, according to IDC3. Active System Manager enhanced with Gale Technologies IP would enable IT admins to not only rapidly provision physical infrastructure but also deploy either virtual clusters in an infrastructure-as-a-service manner or highly-available instances of common business workloads using standardized templates. The business benefits from improved IT responsiveness and faster return on investment.
- The integration of Dell Fluid Cache technology into Active Infrastructure. By introducing tier 0 storage in servers that is integrated with Dell’s Compellent storage array, Active Infrastructure customers could extend the benefits of virtualization to performance-sensitive, mission-critical applications.
- The flexibility to support select third-party platforms and integrate into existing infrastructure deployments and management frameworks. Future versions of Active System Manager enhanced with Gale Technologies IP would allow customers to support third-party platforms that are already deployed, helping save time, money, and creating a flexible, open, modern converged environment. Dell will also enable a broad ecosystem of partners for Active System Manager as well as provide a robust set of APIs to enable custom integrations with home-grown system management infrastructure.
With leading innovation in server density in the PowerEdge 12th generation portfolio, Dell’s year-over-year x86 server shipment growth outpaced the worldwide industry and the other two largest competitors, according to International Data Corporation’s (IDC) Q3 2012 Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker. Dell is helping customers optimize their virtualized data centers with 376 percent more virtual machines per U of rack space than HP4. Enhancements to Dell OpenManage systems management solutions enable customers to take advantage of the advanced management capabilities inherent in Dell servers, storage and networking devices, with key benefits including:
- Simplified, remote management, with a time savings for a single system of up to 25 percent, that helps eliminate agent-based maintenance functions that rob IT resources of performance, power and productivity.
- Enhanced automation with the ability to capture system profiles and apply them to new systems to reduce repetitive manual tasks and operational expenses for deployment. “Time to deployment” improvements increases data center resource efficiency.
- Enhanced availability and security by decreasing service cycle down time, increasing problem identification and remediation. Dell SupportAssist, integrated with OpenManage Essentials, is a proactive capability that ensures maximum uptime by automatically transmitting troubleshooting information to Dell technical support, which in turn hastens resolution and parts replacement.
Cloud Storage, Open Source and Big Data Solutions
Dell announced new options for customers exploring various cloud storage options, and other new OpenStack-based products and Emerging Solutions Ecosystem partners to enable customers to take full advantage of open source cloud and big data solutions.
Dell is committed to giving customers choice with open, standards-based solutions. New choices for cloud storage include:
- In the cloud: Dell partners Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software have certified solutions with Dell to enable secure and mobile corporate data collaboration via private cloud solutions, based on the Dell Fluid File System and Dell DX Object Storage Platform. These solutions give customers secure access to corporate data anywhere, and help support the growing demands of IT organizations looking to support BYOD (bring your own device) initiatives while protecting the security and availability of corporate data. Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software are part of the growing Dell storage partner ecosystem that is certified to support a range of customer requirements for storage, data management and vertical applications.
- On-premise-to-cloud: For Dell customers using EqualLogic storage, and interested in exploring cloud storage, Dell plans to make available in 2013 an EqualLogic driver for Crowbar, the open source software framework developed by Dell to enable Dell storage with OpenStack clouds.
- Open source cloud: Inktank joined Dell’s Emerging Solutions Ecosystem, a partnership program designed to deliver complementary and interoperable hardware, software and services components. The Inktank partnership provides Dell customers with an additional cloud-based storage option compatible with the OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution and based on the Ceph distributed storage system. Ceph is designed to enable scalable object, block and file system storage in a single cluster.
Dell is expanding its commitment to open innovation and support for its ecosystem of open partners:
- SUSE will join the Emerging Solutions Ecosystem, fully integrating Crowbar with SUSE Cloud, making it faster and easier for customers deploying OpenStack-based private clouds.
- Dell is building Crowbar 2.0, and engaging with this community to update this open source software framework, which enables customers to install cloud software across clusters and scale out systems quickly and automatically. Crowbar’s open source model is critical to Dell Enterprise Systems Group’s open innovation strategy.
- To accelerate customers’ journey to the cloud and to enable gathering insights from their big data, Dell and Intel have partnered to enable customer access to Dell’s Hadoop big data solutions and OpenStack-powered cloud solutions within Dell Solution Centers and Dell Modular Data Centers.
And, thanks to thousands of project Sputnik beta program applications from developers, Dell has introduced a client-to-cloud developer solution – the Dell XPS 13 laptop, Developer Edition. This project was the first from Dell’s innovation program, established to enable and fund innovation from anyone in the company. The second project from this incubation program, RIPTide, is a real-time analytics solution that can assemble relevant data sets – structured and unstructured – on-the-fly, using real-time data integration enabled by Dell Boomi and real-time business intelligence capabilities for reports, dashboards, analytics, and services for easy deployment with mid-market customers.
- The Ippany B.V. and Mezeo Software private cloud solutions certified with Dell storage are available today.
- The Active System 800 and Active System Manager are currently available in the U.S. and will be available globally in February 2013.
- The Active System 800 workloads solutions reference architectures are now available for VMware View, and Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and Lync 2010. The workload solution reference architecture for Citrix XenDesktop will be available at the beginning of 2013.
- The new solutions and vision described for Active Infrastructure will roll out in the second half of 2013.
1 Gartner, Inc., Top Five Trends for x86 Server Virtualization, Thomas J. Bittman, March 22, 2012.
2 All Active System beta customers were able to deploy the solution within four hours of delivery.
3 According to the December 2011 IDC Converged Infrastructure Survey 2011: Out of the Clouds, Down to Earth, 57 percent of respondents said deploying new IT services can take more than 31 days. Of those respondents, 37 percent said it could take 91 to 180 days.
4 Comparisons based on February 2012 Principled Technologies extrapolation of 10U worth of Rack servers (5 servers x 4 VMs per server = 20 VMs per 10U or 2.0VMs/U) vs. 10U worth of Blade servers (16 servers x 6 VMs per server = 96 VMs per 10U or 9.6VMs/U)
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Join us at Dell World 2012 – The Power to Do More. Technology professionals will learn from one another and identify key challenges and opportunities connected to the top forces changing business today. Learn more at www.dellworld.com, attend our virtual event at Dell World: Live Online or follow #DellWorld on Twitter.
Dell and PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 25, 2017 06:30 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 25, 2017 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 755
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 25, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 143
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 25, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 797
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,984
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,990
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 25, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 184
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 945
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 25, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 796
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,562
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 512
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,832
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 933
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,035
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 25, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,311
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 24, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,180
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 24, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,284
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Apr. 24, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 899
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 24, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,769
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 24, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,630