|By Dana Gardner||
|August 21, 2015 01:00 PM EDT||
HP today at its Big Data Conference in Boston unveiled a series of new products, services, and programs designed to help organizations better leverage data and analytics.
The company announced:
- A new release of HP Vertica, called Excavator, that feature data streaming and advanced log file text search to power high-speed analytics on Internet of Things (IoT) data.
- Broader support for and contributions to open source technologies, including optimized Hadoop performance, integration with the Apache Kafka distributed messaging system, and advancements in Distributed R predictive analytics.
- The HP Haven Startup Accelerator program, which provides early-stage companies with fast, affordable access to both HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software and services.
"Big data helps us make more sense of it all, a byproduct of what we do everyday," said Robert Youngjohns, Executive Vice President and General Manager at HP Software, in a keynote address. "Big data solves everyday problems like security, inventory, and empowers workers ... and you can now exploit 100 percent of your data."
Youngjohns said that HP at its HP Protect show in a few weeks will announce how to better mine IT systems analytics to make enterprises more secure.
"Big data changes the game in the idea economy," said Colin Mahony, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Big Data at HP. "Big data is core to all apps, but customized composite analytic applications are coming."
The key question for enterprises is, how can you embed analytics into the role you play in your organization?, said Mahony, adding that, enterprises need to spin up new apps constantly to identify and analyze via context, which they cannot get from packaged apps.
"Developers are the new heroes of the idea economy," said Mahony. "Through our Haven and Haven OnDemand platforms, we are empowering these heroes to transform their business through data, by allowing them to harness the value of all forms of information, rapidly connect and apply open source, and quickly access the tools they need to build winning businesses." [Disclosure: HP Enterprise is a sponsor of BriefingsDirect podcasts.]
Also addressing the keynote audience was recent Turing Award winner Mike Stonebraker, CTO and co-founder of Tamr. He said that the development of the column store database was the most disruptive thing I ever did. "It transformed the market," he said, and lead to the Vertica big data platform that HP acquired in 2011.
But he cautioned against getting caught up in marketing buzz over data science substance. "I’ve been doing big data forever. The buzzword is meaningless, it’s about solving data volume, velocity, and variety problems."
"Analytics is moving to complex analytics, using machine learning and statistics, so you need to get smart at data science," said Stonebraker.
Capabilities in the new version of Vertica, codenamed "Excavator," include:
- Data-streaming analytics offering native support for the Apache Kafka open-source distributed messaging system to enable organizations to quickly ingest and analyze high-speed streaming data, including IoT, in near real time. This capability delivers actionable insight for a wide range of use cases, including manufacturing process control, supply-chain optimization, healthcare monitoring, financial risk management, and fraud detection.
- Advanced machine log text search to enable organizations to collect and index large log file data sets generated by systems and business applications, helping IT organizations quickly identify and predict application failures and cyber-attacks, and investigate authorized and unauthorized access.
HP also released a series of solutions designed to enable organizations to combine the innovation of open source with the enterprise-scale, reliability, and security. These include:
- HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop native file support, bringing significant increase in performance on popular Hadoop formats like ORC and Parquet. Specifically, HP worked collaboratively with Hortonworks to develop a new high-performance access layer that enables SQL queries to run directly on ORC files, resulting in a 5x increase in execution times.
- HP Vertica Flex Zone Table Library with which HP has open sourced its innovative Flex Table "schema on-need" technology to the global developer community. With this move, organizations will be able to fully harness virtually any form of semi-structured data to meet their unique needs.
- HP announced its commitment to integrate Vertica with Apache Spark. This will enable accelerated data transfer between Vertica and Spark, allowing organizations to take full advantage of their Spark-based deployments. This future capability will enable the developer community to build their models in Spark and run them in Vertica for high-speed and sophisticated analytics.
HP also unveiled The HP Haven Startup Accelerator, a new program designed to support and expand HP's ecosystem of developers and innovators by making HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software products accessible to early-stage companies. The program removes traditional barriers for organizations looking to leverage analytics and data to build powerful, differentiated applications. Qualified participants will benefit from the following program components:
- Free use of the community versions of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with expanded capacity.
- Premium version of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with attractive pricing
- HP Application Delivery Management tools including HP Agile Manager, HP LeanFT, and HP LoadRunner.
HP also announced an innovative framework of technology and proven best practices to accelerate the development of next-generation analytical applications. This framework extends the HP Haven Big Data Platform with quick-start visualization, syndicated data feeds, open on-premise and cloud-based APIs. This enables HP Professional Services and HP partners to quickly deliver a range of solutions, such as voice of customer, smart cities, and fraud detection.
Optimized platforms for big data include traditional HP ProLiant DL380 clusters, purpose-built Apollo 4510, 4530 and 4200 compute and storage servers, and HP's innovative asymmetric Big Data Reference Architecture. These systems enable customers to optimize their big data workloads, delivering the power of Haven to their business.
Availability Planned availability for new HP Haven Big Data offerings and services is set for fall of 2015.
You may also be interested in:
- How eCommerce sites harvest big data across multiple clouds
- How Localytics uses big data to improve mobile app development and marketing
- Full 360 takes big data analysis cloud services to new business heights
- HP hyper-converged appliance delivers speedy VDI and apps deployment and a direct onramp to hybrid cloud
- Enterprises opting for converged infrastructure as stepping stone to hybrid cloud
- How big data technologies Hadoop and Vertica drive business results at Snagajob
- Zynga builds big data innovation culture by making analytics open to all developers
- How big data powers GameStop to gain retail advantage and deep insights into its markets
- Data-driven apps performance monitoring spurs broad business benefits for Swiss insurer and Turkish mobile carrier
- How Malaysia’s Bank Simpanan Nasional implemented a sweeping enterprise content management system
- Redcentric Uses Advanced Configuration Database to Focus Massive Merger Across Multiple Networks
- HP at Discover delivers the industry's first open, hybrid, ecosystem-wide cloud architecture
- How Tableau Software and Big Data Come Together: Strong Visualization Embedded on an Agile Analytics Engine
- Big Data Helps Conservation International Proactively Respond to Species Threat in Tropical Forests
- How Globe Testing helps startups make the leap to cloud- and mobile-first development
- GoodData analytics developers on what they look for in a big data platform
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,958
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 706
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,438
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 27, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,330
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,351
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 27, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,121
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 27, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,994
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,099
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,085
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 27, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,321
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,282
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,027
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,959
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 27, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,248
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 27, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 921
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 27, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,434
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 26, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,125
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 26, 2017 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 6,250
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Mar. 26, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 9,691
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 26, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,375